Direct Entry Policy
Direct entry and Conversion are intended to allow rope access technicians who have obtained work experience on a two-rope system, outside the desired certification system, to be evaluated for certification at a level commensurate with their skill and experience. Direct entry and Conversion require an application process and are reserved for qualified candidates with varied industrial rope access experience. Recreational climbing, caving and rescue utilizing single rope techniques does not generally qualify as industrial experience, although it greatly increases aptitude. To allow Ropeworks the time to assist with the application process, all required documentation must be submitted in its entirety no later than 60 days prior to the start of the course.
- SPRAT allows Level II direct entry to individuals who have not previously held a SPRAT certification.
- SPRAT allows Level III conversion to hold an active Level III certification with a recognized rope access association.
SPRAT Direct Entry Level II Requirements
- Applicants shall provide documentation of work experience employing a two-rope system of at least 500 hours (hours should be signed off by a supervisor, manager, or client).
- Applicants shall provide a work at height resume that includes 2 professional references, employers, pertinent experience, position(s), responsibilities, and previous training.
- To become a Level II Technician, approved applicants shall attend an evaluation session and successfully complete a Level II Technician Written test and a Level II Technician field evaluation by an Independent Evaluator (Direct Entry Candidates will be evaluated on all skills required for a Level I and Level II Technician).
SPRAT Conversion Level III Requirement
- Rope access technicians who hold an active Level III certification in a recognized rope access association may apply to be evaluated for SPRAT certification as a Level III Technician.
- Applicants shall provide their logbook or similar documentation of work experience.
- Applicants shall provide a work at height resume that includes 2 professional references, employers, pertinent experience, positions (including supervisory or foreman type roles), responsibilities, and previous training.
- Applicants shall provide a letter of reccommendation form a supervisor, manager, or client.
- To become a Level III Technician, approved applicants shall attend an evaluation session and successfully complete a Level III Technician written test and a Level III Technician field evaluation by an Independent Evaluator (Conversion candidates will be evaluated on all skills required for a Level I, Level II, Level III Technician).
Please see SPRAT Certification Requirements for Rope Access Work for detailed guidance.