Rope Access Training, Rope Access I
Rope Access I
This 5-day course prepares candidates for SPRAT and/or IRATA Level I certification. A successful candidate should be capable of performing a range of rope access tasks under the direct supervision of a more experienced technician.
• Understand and follow rope access procedures, work plans, and associated risk assessments
• Perform pre-use checks of personal rope access equipment
• Perform a variety of rope access maneuvers
• Assist in rigging and other tasks, under the supervision of a more experienced technician
• Assist with rescue operations
Job-site Safety and Documentation
• Awareness of guidelines for Rope Access work and relevant legislation
• Identify the elements of an access work plan or method statement
• Understand the process for hazard identification, analysis, and mitigation
• Identify exclusion zones
• Awareness of how to document Rope Access experience
• Understand basic rigging skills
• Inspect the integrity of rope access anchor systems
• Able to tie anchoring, stop, and joining knots
Rope Access Techniques
• Ascent / Descent and changeovers
• Pass obstructions: knots, deviations, intermediate anchors (re-belay), and edge obstructions
• Rope to rope transfers
• Aid climbing: horizontal point to point and sliding (IRATA Level I only)
• Structure climbing: climbing with fall arrest equipment
• Understand rescue protocols
• Rescue a casualty in descent
• Operate a rig-to-rescue system
• Awareness of hauling systems
The minimum age requirement is 18 years. No previous rope access experience is necessary, however an appropriate physical and mental aptitude for technical tasks while working at height is important. Participants will be asked to perform moderate to strenuous activities. A physical examination by a doctor is strongly recommended. Candidates will be required to sign a Liability Release Form and a Statement of Medical Condition confirming the absence of known medical conditions that might preclude their ability to safely work at height.
Please see physical requirements for rope access work for more details.
Scheduling and Pricing
See our course calendar for upcoming dates and course pricing for tuition and certification fees.